zaterdag 16 februari 2013

wing prototype


Below some more detailed drawings where I was trying to measure the different parts needed for my wing design (ah, I just see now that there is still some thought written down there about needing many little screws for the attachment of each feather. Something I already rejected as it is probably over complicating things and could just be done with some simpler attachment, like perhaps some not so permanent glue, or even using polymorph around the wire and little plate with hole.).


Below are some pictures of the making of a card, glue and wire prototype of the idea, using the exact measurements as above. I finished mainly the lower arm part as it was enough to test the basic concept. I did cut out the bits for the 'hand' part of the wing as well, but did not put everything together yet. It would be difficult for these parts also as they include ball and socket joints. which I can't make with the card anyway, so the 'prototype' would there end up being more of a maquette and therefore less useful. Movement wise it won't be as sufficient as the 'real' version in metal anyway, mostly because I didn't incorporate screws in this version, so the tension cannot be adjusted. The main things I learned from making this prototype was that the little plates definitely would need rounded edges at the top, to not come in each other way, and also, especially the ones on the side, should be quite narrow or a bit further apart from each other, as they could now not pivot as much as the others, while especially for the outer ones that would be quite important.





Also I discussed this idea with Arril and his opinion was that it was unnecessary complicated for something that is a tool for a film rather then a alone standing machine ready for an exhibition. It made me think and consider what I had done so far again. The story and film is key usually, but I do not have a real story yet here, as it is my aim and project for now to make the character and learn about armature design and ball and socket armature making and improving my skills in all this. I had some doubts about my aims after this talk and while talking later to Tom (fellow student) I tried to form my thoughts clearer. Do I need to have a clearer story? What decisions did I make already about the birds' functioning and performance? It is quite unusual to have a plan for an animation character but not of the exact final project where it would be featuring in. Is this bad? Should I spend time now on developing a story?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten